Saturday, November 12, 2011

Enjoying Brushy Lake



Most of my outdoor activities are shared with my son. This mainly due to my daughter just now getting old enough to venture out with us and my wife's somewhat lack of enthusiasm for the great outdoors. This time, however, we all went to Brushy Lake which is in Bankhead National Forest located in North Alabama.

Brushy is a beautiful place that has a smooth asphalt trail leading back to a man made dam that has created the lake. Don't think about a hydro-electric dam, we are talking about a very small dam that still allows water to flow over after a big rain. It is a beautiful setting to have an outdoor excursion. Brushy has many cliffs and the trails around the bluffs offer a little more adventure than the asphalt trail.

My kids were looking for Indian artifacts and making up stories about what the crevices made by the boulders could have been used for. To the other people wanting to enjoy a quiet day in the woods, I apologize for the cackles and laughs of my kids that could have been heard for miles. Simple things like throwing acorns in a creek seem to make them very happy. I was standing there wondering why we spend so much money on toys when some water and some acorns cause more excitement that I have ever witnessed while they were playing with toys.

My son thanked me later for carrying us out there so we could bond with nature and with each other. Wisdom truly does come out of the mouth of babes, or at least young men.

No comments:

Post a Comment