Monday, January 30, 2012

Final Hunt of the Year

We didn't bag a deer this year but we still had a great time. We moved positions the last day but no deer were insight. At least we didn't see them where we had been hunting. Some years just don't turn out too productive in terms of meat but still productive in terms of quality time. My son and I enjoyed many hours of spending time together. Another blessing is that we hunt where I grew up and each hunting trip involved spending time with my parents which was great for my son and his grandparents.

One of the great things about hunting is spending time with family. When hunting involves three generations the time is even more special. There were no deer in this area when I was growing up so we spent our time quail hunting and squirrel hunting. It is great to spend time in the same woods as I spent with my Dad and Grandfather. Unfortunately my son never got the pleasure of meeting my grandfather but through our hunting trips it seemed that he was with us enjoying the experience with us.

It is good that hunting success isn't measured strictly in terms of the number of animals that are taken (especially since most of our trips do not end in a trip to the deer processor). As we say all the time, "that is why they call it hunting and not shooting."

No comments:

Post a Comment