Monday, March 26, 2012

Catfish and Crappie



My son and I set out to catch some slab crappie. We didn't get the slabs and ended up only catching four small crappie. We were fishing with minnows about two feet under the surface in five to ten feet of water. We never expected to catch catfish but they out numbered the crappie. I don't know if they are getting ready to spawn but with the early spring we are having, who knows.

We had a great time and my wife and little girl came and joined us for a picnic. While we were at the dock, my son couldn't help but wet a worm and caught a few miniature bream. My little girl got ion the action and caught her first fish at the river. She has caught a few at the creek behind our house but for some reason she doesn't count those because she wasn't at the river. Now she can say she has caught a fish, and although it was probably about 2 inches long it counted.

To end off a great day we cleaned and ate the crappie and catfish (not the bream). It was like a scene out of Swamp People and just for good measure my son even named his fish "Big Bubba." It was a great day, caught fish, picnic with family, and ate some good ole fried fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment